Your knees support your body’s weight and are essential to everyday activities like standing and walking. Knee pain is a common complaint among men and women, especially as we age. There are a variety of reasons why you may be experiencing knee pain. If you are having knee pain, talk to an orthopedic doctor to get an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
Here are some of the most common causes of knee pain.
One of the most common reasons for knee pain is injury to the knee. There are a variety of ways you can injure your knee, including sports accidents, falls, vehicular accidents, and more. Some common types of knee injuries are:
- ACL Injury – This injury is a tear to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). ACL is one of the ligaments that join your shinbone and thighbone. It is common for people who play basketball and other sports requiring athletes to make abrupt changes in their movements or direction to experience this type of injury.
- Fractures – Your knee bones can break when too much force is applied on them. Fractures are common among athletes, older people who have conditions that weaken their bones (like osteoporosis), and during car accidents.
- Torn Meniscus – The meniscus is the shock absorber between your shinbone and thigh bone. It can tear from a sudden knee twist while your weight is on it.
- Knee Bursitis – Inflammation of the bursa or knee bursitis may be caused by frequent kneeling, a direct blow to the knee, bacterial infection, or complications from arthritis or gout. A variety of occupations require extended time on the knees, such as plumbers and construction workers. If you have a fever along with pain and swelling in your knee, you should seek medical care as this may indicate an infection.
- Patellar Tendinitis – Tendinitis refers to irritation and inflammation in the tendon. The swelling of the patellar tendon, which attaches the quadriceps of the thigh to the shinbone, is common among cyclists, runners, skiers, and people who engage in jumping sports.
Arthritis refers to a variety of conditions that affect joint health. The types of arthritis that often affect knee health and cause knee pain are:
- Osteoarthritis – This is the most common type of arthritis and is also called degenerative arthritis. The cartilage on the knee wears down due to inflammation, wear and tear injuries, and aging.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) – RA is an autoimmune condition that affects various joints in the body, including the knees. It is a chronic disease that inflames and deteriorates joints.
- Gout – Gout is caused by the build-up of uric acid crystals in joints. While often affecting the big toe, this condition can also affect the knees.
Orthopedic Clinic in Farmington Hills, Michigan
While knee pain is one of the most common types of pain people experience, it is highly treatable. Effective and long-term treatment requires an accurate diagnosis. At Tri County Orthopedics in Farmington Hills, Michigan, we offer a variety of treatments for injuries and conditions that cause knee pain.
Our doctors are board-certified orthopedic surgeons who are experts in their field. To make an appointment, call (248) 474-5575. You can also request an appointment online. We look forward to serving you!